Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontPage Extension Security Risk! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Hello,<br>&nbsp;<br>Just wanted to warn people about an Internet Security problem for all people who have installed FrontPage extensions on their machine(s).<br>&nbsp;<br>According to Microsoft, &quot;dvwssr.dll&quot; contains a secret password that could be used to gain illicit access to to hundreds of thousands of Internet sites. They have urged people who find it on their machine(s) to delete it immediately, but I suggest you open it with notepad and look for the offending code which states that Netscape are 'weenies' (can u find it?) and then delete the file.<br>&nbsp;<br>If you don't believe me, ask Microsoft...<br>&nbsp;

i found it by opening notepad. it is written backwards. are you sure it is safe to delete?<br>

Definately! I removed mine and I've had no problems at all.<br><br>Instead of just deleting it, why not rename it form dvwssr.dll to dvwssr.old and then if you do get problems you can always change it back (but you won't get problems).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back