Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage ERROR?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahjo

Programmer
Dec 27, 2000
US
When I try to open my web with Frontpage, I get the following message:

Server Error: Cannot open file "c:\Documents and Setting\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\myweb2\_vti_pvt\service.lck"

I do not have a service.lck on my computer. Also, I cannot find the _vti_pvt folder. I have multiple webs and I can open the other ones with no problem. Please Help! Thanks.

Pahjo

Not sure if I'm on the right track, but the _vti_pvt folder is a hidden folder - so in a default windows setup, you won't see it...

One way to get around the error (certainly not the most elegant method :) but it'll work) is do the following:

1. Back up the web - zip it all into one file, burn it to a cd, send it to a friend, place it on multiple servers etc - coz if things go wrong, you'll be wanting it back....

2. Use you folder options to view hidden files, then go to "c:\Documents and Setting\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\myweb2" and delete all the _vti_* folders (you will need to go through all the sub-directories of your site and do the same)

3. Then use Frontpage to create a new web in "c:\Documents and Setting\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\myweb2" - Frontpage will convert the folder into a web, preserving all you files as they should be.

There is one potential problem with this, I'm not sure how it will affect a site that has used FrontPage Themes (yucky things that they are)

As I said this is one way to fix the problem, I'm sure someone can come up with something a little simpler...

The problem is easily solved by turning off the Read Only attribute for the offending Service.lck file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back