Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontPage Built HTML Site Content to CMS/Drupal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I may or may not be doing this project, but even if I don't, I'm thinking I'd like to at least try to carry it out to see if I can, and hopefully learn something along the way.

Here's the situation: I know of a personal website, where I know the owner, and he's expressed interest in changing his site over to a similar setup like I did for our church's website with Drupal.

His current site was originally built using FrontPage, and now he uses either FrontPage or Word to add new content, edit, etc, best I know.

So, what I want to do is basically grab all the content on his site (it is mainly various Blog postings), Bible studies to be specific.

What he is currently doing is a Bible study (or sometimes more) a day. Each Bible study fits into a specific series of studies. That series of studies, he pastes all together on one page, so one html file, when he puts the next page up.

What I'd like to try and do with that is this (if at all possible): grab all that content, and feed it into a tabular format in Excel or Access, and then export that to a file which I could then import into the Drupal tables.

One of the things I can't seem to get my brain about right now is this: Would there be a way to separately store all the formatting (via the html tags) of the content in some sort of separate field or series of fields or something? Or, hmm... I may have just answered my own question... If I can go according to the html tags, I don't see a reason I can save all the text including formatting for the "body" in a body field, and then upload that to the drupal database... [ponder]

Hmm.... Well, I'm just thinking on this one for now... I started a test site to upload the data to (a couple months ago), but have just off and on thought about HOW to get the data organized the way I want.

That's another piece of my puzzle. I've got to find a way to basically break the data up from the original files. I suppose I could just do that manually to be sure I got it right, but I'd like to think of a way - VBA or some other way - to do it via code... Hmm...

Well, if anyone thinks of any suggestions or thoughts on this, please post. If I do indeed try to go down the VBA path in MS Access (I'm thinking Access will be the best, initially), then I'll probably end up posting over in that forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back