Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FrontPage, ASP and MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyJoe

Programmer
Nov 13, 2000
US
I have been writing some ASP web pages using EditPlus as an editor. Recently I got a copy of FrontPage 2003 (FREE), took a basic course in it and made some nice looking pages. Using some existing ASP pages and a frontpage home page put a fairly decent looking site on the web. I can modify these pages using FrontPage and then update the web site. However I have been unable to use FrontPage to view these same pages using "LocalHost". Which means the modifications are untested and I may be putting garbage on the web site.

Generating new ASP pages using only FrontPage will not even display an
ASP "response.write" statement when I preview it using my machine as a server. I can using the database wizard to extract the data from a table, but have been unable to get it to work using ASP code.

Thanks for any help

Smokey

What OS does your development machine have?

If it is XP or 2K then you can use IIS web server, if it is 9x/Me then you are stuck with PWS.

You've got to get your web server running before you can do ASP... so that means you can type and get your local home page. I hope that made sense.

Thanks for your reply, I am using Win 2000 with IIS. I have been developing ASP pages with EditPlus as an editor on the same machine.

I am happy with EditPlus in many respects but thought I could make better looking pages using FrontPage.

FrontPage seems to do a fairly good job on HTML but have been unable to get it to work on my development machine and mySQL database. As I am using a totally relative database and have several tables I need to be able to write my own code.

At present I can use FrontPage and my own code on a hosting web site but on my development machine FrontPage displays the code for the page. This prevents me from being able to see how changes are going to work until I post them on the web.

Thanks Again

ASP is a server side script and runs only on the server...if you try to view the design view of the page that contains both ASP and HTML the FrontPage displays only the HTML and ignores the ASP part...

-DNG

Thanks for the prompt reply.

If I read you correctly you are saying I can't do with FrontPage what I have been doing with EditPlus for a couple of years; write code, save it as a ASP page and see how it works on the same machine using "LocalHost" as a server.

Is this right? Should I throw out FrontPage.

Smokey

Nope...if you are using LocalHost then you should be able to see the ASP in action...

i just meant that...after you write the code, make some design changes in FrontPage..and then click on the "Design" view tab...then you wont be able to see the ASP in action...

did that make clear...

-DNG

I'm not sure I understand the question but do you have the "Front Page" extensions installed on your IIS? You know, like when you go into the control panel and do "add remove programs" and then do "windows components" and then pick IIS... and then look at the sub items... do you have the front page stuff there and the authoring doo-dadds?

Oh well, you probably would have hated FrontPage anyway.

Smokey,
many years ago I was trying to do ASP the same way as you using FrontPage. It was a mistake. There is nothing worse than FrontPage generated asp code.
If you want fast way to get results without doing a lot of manual coding you have to buy either Dreamweaver or CodeCharge Studio ... although you have to know how to hand-code asp anyway in order to create complex & flexible project.
There is also EasyASP (free) suite which has some asp wizards.

Thanks fellows for the help.

I got FrontPage 2003 free from my user group if I would write it up for our monthy newsletter, which I did talking about using it for HTML. I also took a basic (online) course in it from our local university. I have come to the conclusion it is OK for HTML, maybe OK for a flat file using Access but past that it just doen't have it.

I think I am correct in saying one of the problems is that not all of the code generated is available to the programmer. If it is I can't find it.

I doubt I will try to use it any more for working with databases

Thanks Again

Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back