Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage 2003 Not Compatible with Windows 7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sap1958

Technical User
Oct 22, 2009
US
When I do a save as in frontpage 2003 I get an eror message: unexpected error occured, not enough memory, try closing other programs and try again. I researched this further and read where windows 7 home edition may not be compatible with frontpage 2003. Is there a workaround? It worked fine on a windows xp machine. Usually microsoft products are downward compatible. I ran the troubleshooter and even downloaded service pack 3 and still no luck.

I think 64 bit but not sure. What are the possible outcomes here

I'm using it on W7 starter which is 32-bit and it does work. May be a 64-bit W7 problem. I don't have W7 64-bit so I can't try it out.

You could run it in XP mode but XP mode isn't available on the home edition.

You could make a VM using VMWare Player or Virtual Box, using your old XP or W2K disks (possibly from a defunct machine) and run FP from there.

Can't think of any other options.

If I purchase Microsoft Expressions (which is the successor) it should work on w7 home edition I think. There is also a free sharepoint designer 2007. I heard it might work with that.

I've never used expressions so I can't say for sure whether it will work or not.

Try the free version first from Expression

If that works, it may be worth buying.

I use FrontPage 2003 with W7 32 bit version. I do have the 64 but not tried FP there. I have tens of thousands of HTML pages in FP and [sometimes] I go through lots of loops & pains to keep this alive and going. It is incredible to me that in 2013 I still use this so much bad mouthed software to do extremely heavy duty work. Of course this means nothing to you or anybody unless I give you the URL so that you can see for yourself:
I hope the site won't cut my message off because of placing this URL. This is NOT promoting... actually I hesitated to even post anything but I'm [somehow] in awe with the resilience of this "discontinued" software.

I wish I can find the guys who did the coding... I have some questions for them and, of course, a ton of congratulations.

I just like FP because it is simple. I find tools like Dreamweaver too complicated to use. Also, if you have a lo-res 1366x768 screen, the simpler the better. The more complex tools are better on hi-res screens.

The other alternative to Expression is Visual Web Developer Express.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back