Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frontpage 2000 - Authoring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hmmm.. this is odd, I thought I already wrote this here, but it doesn't appear to be here. Hey if I ask this twice, please forgive me, I am easily confused :)<br>
<br>
The problem is this, I can load web pages from IE5 into Frontpage 2K with no problem, I can change them and save them with no problem, but when I try to create a new pag eon the web, there is no web site to choose from, just &quot;My Web&quot; which is a folder on the D drive. Everyhting worked fine when on WinNT, but now in 2000 it is just weird, no web sites (no external web sites, I should say).<br>
<br>
What to do? What to do?<br>
<br>
Gods Love,<br>
<br>
John Vogel<br>
<p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:john@computerwiz.net>john@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href=

What you've been doing is making changes to individual pages, not to pages that are part of a FrontPage 2000 Web. Where are the web pages stored? If they are on a web server on your LAN, then you can define them as a new Web (even though they already exist), then you can make changes to any of the pages by opening that Web. All changes will take effect immediately.<br>
<br>
However, it's usually not a good idea to update your web &quot;live&quot; -- it restricts your ability to make changes to lots of pages then, and only then, upload them all to your web site. And if your web is on a separate server at an ISP and you have to use ftp to upload/download pages, then you can't make them a FrontPage Web.<br>
<br>
In either case, I recommend that you copy (or ftp) your entire web site to a new folder on your LAN, then open that folder as a FrontPage Web. This lets you make your changes to whatever pages you want, then copy, ftp, or even use FrontPage to Publish the changed pages to your web site.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

Thanks alot, sorry it took so long for me to reply. You are right, and I am thinking Windows2000 security has something to do with the problem I am having. I don't think W2K allows for live edits on a frontpage web from the server. I am running the webserver and frontpage on the same machine. Not a good idea, I think. <br>
<br>
Anyway, I took your advice, and am happily working away on our web site, then just publishing to the web... seems a little strange to publish files to the same machine, rather then just working on the data there, I know Windows NT Server (4.0) allowed me to do it :[<br>
<br>
God Bless, <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:john@computerwiz.net>john@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back