Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front Page Extensions - MS doesn't support anymore? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markie37

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
I have been having trouble with FP. It started when I tried to edit my site by adding a new webpage. The page wouldn't save and FP locked up and I had to get out of FP by the task manager. I notified my sever company and they fooled with it for about a week and a half. Got all kinds of different results and answers from them. I got four different emails back from the company by four different individuals with four different answers.

The following is the last email I got back from them today:
"Thanks for the email, the issue is with the use of FrontPage extensions themselves, as web sites became larger Microsoft noticed that their FrontPage extensions became more volatile causing the errors you are experiencing. Once they had noticed this they stopped supporting and creating extensions as of 2003 they have not created any patches fixes or provided any type of support for this product. We can queue the extensions to re-install however this issue will continue to occur so long as the extensions are being used."

"You will receive an email once the extensions have re-installed."

QUESTION: Is this possible? And if it is true, where do I go from here? I have 3 websites all using FP and they ALL quit working properly at the same time. I have four computers in my house with FP and one has XP, one has Vista, two has Win7.

Mark
Youngstown NY U.S.A.

Support is provided by Ready-to-Run Software, I don't know what their business relationship with MS is, but MS says that when they end-of-lifed FPSE, they realized many ppl rely on FPSE, so MS worked with Read-to-Run, who has released a version compatible with Server 2008. Someone told me that Ready-to-Run was started by former MS employees, but I don't know.

I would think your web hosting provider would know this. Perhaps they just started using Win Server 2008 R2. There isn't a version of FPSE compatible yet.

See "Overview" at this page:
I'm sorry I dont' know how to advise you. Do your sites use technologies that rely on FPSE or could you do without them?

I haven't heard any of that larger websites volatile stuff.

--Lilliabeth

Thank You lilliabeth for the reply. I am one of those guys that started with this website bulding stuff 10 years ago for our local fishing club and I had to learn how to operate FP so that's what I started from. I am not the sharpest tack in the box and sometimes I have to stumble through things. That's why I like and use FP and when I have trouble [which is very seldom] I need to rely on others.

Yes my sites rely on FPSE I think. Front Page is what I started with and know nothing else and at my age I don't think I can or want to learn something else. My websites are established and just one of them is quite large. They are all with the same company and up 'til now, quite good to work with.

How would I go about doing without FPSE? My sites are all built with FP and that is all I know and I Googled for this company way back 10 yrs. ago because they said "We use Front Page Extensions" or something to that effect. Someone gave me a 2000 copy of FP and that's what I used back then. [Now 2003]

Again, Thank You

Mark
Youngstown NY U.S.A.

I hope this helps. You have to avoid using webbots and you will have to use FTP to get the files to the server. Read this very important article:

I would talk to the host to make sure this move will solve your issues, and make them verify that don't intend to have their server extensions working in a month anyway.

Since I never heard any of the stuff about volatile larger sites and I question the "truthiness" of that, I'd talk to someone else.

--Lilliabeth

A big THANK YOU Lillibeth for your support. Tek Tips is very valuable for guys like me and you are an asset. I contributed a few bucks to Tek Tips for which I am very grateful on several occasions in the past. Yes I have donated in the past and very happy about having something like this. I questioned the "truthiness" also and agree with you. Thanks!

Mark
Youngstown NY U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back