Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front Page created Web site has wrapped text on some browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregFiore

Programmer
Nov 7, 2005
US
Some browsers are distorting My web site pages, by
causing a carriage return line feed (Word wrap) where
none should be. Internet explorer on one computer shows
the text line correctly, while IE on another computer shows
the word wrap. I reset the resolution on the offending computer, but it made no difference. I have gone back into the web page and made sure that there were no hidden CRLF where the word wraps were occurring. I use a lot of Layers. I always look at the page with the browsers tool in Front Page, but the limited selections show nothing.
What can be set or how can I fix this problem?
Greg Fiore

I have a couple of possible guesses:
1. One allowing ActiveX controls, and one not?
2. One may have security settings blocking some frames in your page, and one not? For instance, I noticed at work that our Norton Security (ad blocking section) was causing problems with the layouts of some pages, when it blocked the banner ads.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

My suggestions were related to the fact that IE works fine on one machine, but not on another. IMHO, based on that criteria, I would first think it has something to do with local security/privacy settings of some sort.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thank you kjv1611 and Corey,
I believe it is a DOCTYPE issue.
Apparently Frontpage puts a DOCTYPE 4.0 in automatically,
however this statement doesn't do anything because it is
not followed with another statement which gives an http:
address. So all browsers that read the page go into "quirks mode" which lets any browser do the best job
that it can!! I have fooled around with the DOCTYPE statement...changing it to 4.01 and adding the http:/...
statement, and it does change what the browsers see and what Frontpage shows in Design mode.
I wish I had known more about this when I started because I would have added the statements initially. To see the
DOCTYPE statement: be in design mode then click the code
button (bottom left next to Design view)..The DOCTYPE statement is the first statement before the HTML stuff.
Greg Fiore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back