Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front End Refresh on different machines or networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weightinwildcat

Programmer
May 11, 2010
US
I am working on an application that has been split into a front end and a back end. The front end can run on different machines, and even on different networks. I can make changes to the underlying back end records and do a requery, but I need to have any changes show up instantly for anyone else using the system. Refresh only updates the image for the instance on one computer. How do I get it to happen for everybody at the same time?

You could use the timeout event on the form to perform a refresh every XYZ(seconds, minutes, hours) etc.

Or you could poll another DB record to see when the last time something changed and if so do a refresh.

None of these approaches are very efficient, what are all the current users looking at that needs real-time updates to be so critical, is a live chat application?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back