Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front End networking problemo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just built a wonderful database for a group here at Auburn University and there are 5 people around the office who are in heaven using it (they have been waiting for 10 years or so to get one...)... anyway, they all have a license to use Access but every time they open up their front ends (the tables are on a single computer on the server)...they have to re-link, which you can imagine, is a pain (tho they are not complaining too much)...

We've read all the standard materials, "shared" in Options, etc. etc.. but nothing seems to work. What do you suppose causes this?

This is only the most basic suggestion and you may be way beyond this, but:

I'm assuming that you have the front end .mdb installed on locally on each client machine. Have you opened each .mdb, deleted all the links, reimported all the links (with File, Get External Data, Link Tables) and then resaved the .mdb's?

Or, also a very basic suggestion, if all computers are accessing the same front end .mdb over the network, then is the front end .mdb linked to the back end .mdb via a network resource drive (something like \\computername\data) or is it linked to a local drive (to something like c:\data). If it's linked to the local drive, then you'll need to delete all the links in the front end, and relink them making sure to browse through the network neighborhood to assign a network drive name rather than a local drive name. (The explanation for this is that when links are to local drives and the front end .mdb is accessed off another computer, that computer will look for the backend on _its own_ c: drive, not on the server's c: drive. Using network drive addresses fixes this problem.)

Again, you may be way beyond these basic things, but they are two things to check, depending on (1) whether the front end has a local copy installed on each computer, or (2) whether some or all computers are accessing the front end off a server.

This sounds very strange to me. What happens if they don't "re-link"? What error message do they get? Rick Sprague

On thinking about it, sounds very strange to me too. If they are relinking, then it should automatically save the links when they close the database.

Only thing I can think of is that (1) they're all accessing the front end off of a server, that (2) the links are defined using the server's local drive, and that (3) somehow the updated links to find the back end on a network drive are not getting saved. But even that scenario sounds unlikely. I'm curious to hear what's actually going on. -- Herb

Another question came to mind: How do your users re-link? Using the Linked Table Manager? If not, then you must have written some code to give them the function. Show us the code. Rick Sprague

Thanks for the response. We checked the "shared" option, etc.. and can't find anything in the permissions area -- been working nite and day on this dbase finishing up so I'll send your suggestions to the printer and get back to you in the morning. Been using the Link Manager, or on the File drop down. Crazy thing. Once they are on they are good to go, but if they close Access they have to go through the re-linking process every time, which, for an office of 5 front end users, is a bit much. I'll aborb what you wrote and get back to you. Thanks!

When you use the Linked Table Manager, what is the path shown for the linked tables?

:-9

Here's the scenario...

When you first call up Access, the Link Manager shows the path to the desktop C:\ , not the network....

Next you go to the Link Manager, and select and browse out the network computer with the tables...the Link Manager is successful showing "\\network\... path and the database behaves properly.

However, when Access is closed and immediately re-opened, even though the Link Manager shows the network path is still there, the tables have somehow been disconnected and the relinking process must start again.

Help in Tigerland

You might try this:

1. Open the front end (maybe from the local machine just to be sure there's nothing screwy about network accessing) making sure that no other users are accessing it.

2. In the tables window delete all of the links to the tables in the back end.

3. Go through process of linking tables using the File, Get External Data, Link Tables form, but don't link to back end on C:, instead make sure you set up links for a network drive.

4. Save database.

Doesn't sound like what you've been doing is much different, but might be worth it to delete the links this way (rather than using Link Manager) and start all over again. -- Herb

Valuable lesson here folks...

Residual files were cleaned from all computers. During the development of the database things got a little loose, and so we delted every mdb file that could have possibly had a link, either to the tables, or in revers, and then left a single copy on the principal computer.

We next made sure during the linking process that the server path was established. We did this by linking from the database window and THROUGH THE NETWORK AND NOT THE C: DRIVE. Then, when the link manager was opened, it revealed the characteristic "..\\network\.." path.

We then created shortcuts from the computers which are hosting the principal computer (avoiding of course a copying event). So, after much cleaning, deleting and tightening up...presto...works beautifully!

Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

A. T.
"..eternity is in love with the productions of time..."
W. Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back