Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front end- back end question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt52

Technical User
Jan 26, 2003
US
I have split my Access '97 database into a frontend/backend model. The front end lives on several clients as an mde, and the backend (consisting of tables only) on a server. I wish to password protect the backend, but when I do this, I get an invalid password error. If I remove the backend password, the connection occurs. I just want to be sure no one circumvents the front end and goes directly to the backend. Suggestions? TIA. RMT

The front end and the back end should belong to the same System.MDW (workgroup) thus enjoying the same security model.

Your connection occurs because the default username is "Admin" and the default password is blank.

If you put the front and the back in the same workgroup, the user will log in to the front-end and therefore have the rights to access the back end.

Take care,
--Shaun Merrill
Seattle, WA

rt,

It sounds like you're trying to use the database password feature. If you want to secure a database that is split FE/BE, you'll have to delve into user-level security, as Shaun is alluding to. The first thing to do is read the MS Access Security FAQ. The second thing to do is to read the MS Access Security FAQ. You can probably guess the third thing on your to-do list.

You can get this document from MS, and there's a copy on my website. There are lots of other places that talk about the security in Access, but this is the only place I would bother to go. It's complex, and it will take a little while to wrap your head around it, but once you do, you'll be flyin.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back