Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front End/Back End Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdpress

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
US
I've split my database into a frontend and backend. The backend resides on on my server, it is mapped as M:drive on all my workstations. The tables in the frontend all linked to the frontend by statinng drive, directory, and file:

M:\usr\frontend\ccmp_fe.mdb

A copy of the frontend resides locally on each work station.

Challenge:

I'd like to take the frontend home so I work on it there. Right now I have a stand alone computer with a single hard-drive (C:).

What is the easiest way to make the front-end think part of my C:drive is M: drive? or can I easily change all the table links to C:\usr\frontend\ccmp_fe.mdb and then change it back when I bring it to the office.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

To make the front-end think part of my C:drive is M: drive:

Open a command window.

Type 'subst M: C:\DirectoryWithYourData' and press enter.

Not sure that works on XP, but should on anything prior.

You might also want to consider re-linking your tables at run-time. This makes life easier if the location of the back-end ever changes.

Check out faq700-1584 for instructions on how to do this. [morning] Sleep is for people with no caffeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back