Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

From PDC+BDC to Active Directory : only 1 domain controller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riwa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
NL
Hi,

We are in the middle of a test setup to update our NT4 servers to 2000 with AD.
We have 2 NT4 servers, a PDC and a BDC. Both are upgraded to win2000. We started with the PDC and this is the server where we first ran the AD wizard.

We were wondering what the function of our old BDC will be. That server is also upgraded to 2000 but if we run the AD wizard again it looks like it's gonne be on a new domain.

What's the use when this server will become a child domain ? Will it do the same as a BDC or do you only have 1 domain controller in a AD setup and should we forget the PDC + 1 or more BDC's idea ?

Thanks,

Richard

Once you have upgraded your PDC to be a W2K DC in my opinion all new DC's should be clean installs (i.e rebuild as W2K servers and DCPROMO).

I would remove the BDC, then go native. The older Clients will use the server with the PDC emulator role.

If you want to create a child domain the option will be there when you DCPROMO.

I thought once you upgrade to 2000 active directory domain the PDC BDC model goes out the window. There is no primary server or secondary servers anymore just trees in the forest.

Storm

MS calls these master domain controllers and secondary domain controllers. These are all domain controllers, and replicate anything you have setup, be it wins, dns, etc. FMSO is what the master dc has, with the others being used for redundancy. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

You can still have a BDC in Active Directory, but it is an NT BDC. There is no such thing as a Windows 2000 or 2003 BDC.

The domain must be in mixed mode to support replication with the NT BDCs.

If you upgraded the NT PDC to be the first DC in your AD forest, you should be able to upgrade the BDCs and make them additional DCs. When dcpromo runs, you should have the option to make the server an additional DC for an existing domain. Or it may just make it an additional DC for the existing domain and not give you the choice, I can't remember. But it should not force you to create a new domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back