Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

from localhost to a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufc

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
GB
I have built and populated a database`on SQL Server for my website on my local machine running under localhost.

How do I upload my sql server database to my webserver account?!?

Thanks folks

"If a man is a fool, you don't train him out of being a fool by sending him to university. You merely turn him into a trained fool, ten times more dangerous."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're going to have to work that out with the Admin of your website.
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

In general the steps would be something like:

Detach the local SQL Server database. Copy the mdb and ldb files to the other server (possibly using FTP). Attach the file using their SQL Server Enterprise Manager or using T-SQL code (if you are using t-sql code to attach, you can don;t need to copy the ldb file as you can write the code to create a new log (see sp_attach_single_file_db for further info). Then change the web code to connect to the database on the new server and test. If they do not have SQL Server, then you will have to get another host or install SQL Server (with their permission of course) on their machine.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Congrats...you're making a habit of being TipMaster of the week!
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

mdf and ldf, sorry been in Access too much lately!

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back