Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

From a regular t1 to PRI configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

chs89

MIS
Apr 28, 2003
US
We will be changing our regular T1 to a PRI. Besides changing the type to PRI, is there something else I should be concern with? The singnal is a B8ZS ESF ATT&T #5 ESS. This change will happend on a Magix release 1.

Thanks

YES - PRI is basically the equivalent of in/out DID-type intercom calls from the Telco provider. If your system programming currently is all line-based - you will have to change the programming and your mind-set to an extention-based programming scheme. This mostly affects voicemail operation (how calls get to the autoattendant) and/or any groups you have set up that get calls directly. In addition - for dialing out - it is not recommended that the PRI channels be put on the operator phone as line appearances - so typically you would need to delete all line buttons on the operator phone and give the operator a bunch of SA-Ring buttons - so she can handle multiple calls. Remember that the PRI outbound line numbering will start at where your analog trunks end - and continue on through however many PRI channels you will have. There is a good primer on PRI programming in the FAQ section.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Oh - and be sure the protocol they are using for 5ESS is AT&T Custom.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

In addition to the FAQ, the manuals are a good source for info, and reading past threads on this Forum. This subject has been covered VERY much over the last 3 years!

A few things for your list:

Don't put the DCH (the D CHANNEL) in anything!! It is ALWAYS channel 24.

Plan and review the DIAL PLAN and DID numbers if present or being added first for any impact after cutover.

Check and verify all telco orders and info!! Talk to the tester ahead of time and double check stuff with them about your cutover.

If the provider is Pacific Bell, they will provision a new DS1 ckt to the premise. If you have a spare 100D module, you could actually build everything for the PRI and pretest the whole thing before cutover. That is what I did for one of my clients (and my first PRI conversion). Things went very well.

Good luck!

....JIM....

What SYQUEST says is true, but if your are going to use the same Module , BEWARE , you need to delete your programing of your T-1 first ( lines ) ,before programing anything for your PRI, then there will be downtime of your switch ( you may need to do off hours )& you cannot test before hand
So if you can get another module & program it will be allot easier

Thank you both for your answers. Yes, this change will be done after hours, and we have to use the same module. Is there a way to reset the module or do I have to go into the programmming and delete it?

You will have to manually erase whatever was programmed before - unless you want to reprogram the whole system from scratch. If you remove the DS1 module and do a board renumber - I do not believe it will fully wipe out all of the previous T1 programming. If it did - then you could reinsert it and then do another board renumber.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Remember to do a backup of the system before you start and if anything goes wrong you can restore it!

renumbering will not replace the programing , all you need to do is take the channels out of any pools delete them from the T 1 , then you can change T1 to a PRI then your PRI programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back