Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fresh XP onto Dell PCs? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novexx

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
GB
I have 3 Dell's which require moved to XP Pro from XP Home, I would prefer to install fresh on them.

are there any likley difficulties that I should be aware of before wiping the current O/S's of them?

I know there probably isn't, but I have been caught out working on Dell's in the past - usually with BIOS access / functionality though.

Thank You.

There shouldn't be any problems as both OSes are essentially the same.

I would however have updated drivers for the hardware, as XP's drivers can be pretty outdated.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I agree with vacunita; I have have done the switch on many dell laptops & desktops and find that I always have to visit Dell to download updated drivers.

After installation do Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware and click Device Manager to find any drivers that may need to be loaded or updated.

The Dell download site is very helpful and very user friendly.

Much Luck

Sam

Save yourself some future grief. Download the full driver set and burn it to something so you don't have to do it again the next time. Just make sure you burn it to something that is accessable before the drivers are reloaded.

The shortcut to Dell is using the service history tag which is available on the first CMOS page, usually accessed via [F2] while the first splash screen is counting up the memory test.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back