Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fresh Windows xp install on terminal help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shemps

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
Hello and thanks!
I have a terminal with the blue screen of death. After troubleshooting, I'm at the point where I need a new harddrive and new windows xp. After putting the old drive on another computer as a slave, I was able to make a disk image and am able to copy files to and from if necessary. My problem is the basics. What is the best way to copy all of my settings so that the new setup sees my server, proper printer assignment etc. I don't know where to start. I tried a repair first, but it is asking for an administrator password and I have no idea what that could be (I tried leaving it blank). I'm thinking of changing the hard drive only as a preventative measure...I could use the same drive. In other words, what are the steps I take after installing windows.
Thanks much.
John

Do you have another identical working terminal? If so, just image the drive from it and put that on the new drive. Acronis True Image works great for this. Then just change the ip address, computer name, and edit ibercfg file to reflect the correct Terminal number.

Also check out the FAQs link above.

bakins...thanks! sounds like a plan. That's what I'll try.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back