Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fresh install - all of a sudden decides not to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrimley

Technical User
Dec 3, 2002
GB
Hi All

I have just installed a fresh copy of winxp pro onto a machine. This installation was then service packed and patches downloaded and installed. Along the way I created b4 and after restore points. Bare in mind in between all of these updates a few reboots have taken place. I then install office xp and all the updates for that, again creating restore points. After all these are installed i check the pc is all functioning and activate the products. The pc leaves site a to be put onto site b. A.n. other person has attempted to boot the pc once on site b and has told me it won't boot. I had a look at the process and all that happens is it gets to the login page where you select the user (not on a domain just a single pc) and login. The pc starts to login and stops just showing the backdrop and no icons or taskbar. I have tried last known good, safe mode, logging on with different users - thinking it may be corrupt user.dat but still proved fruitless. One last thing i looked at was the motherboard settings and I noticed that for some reason they have all been reset to default. I tried to set up all the settings back to what I could remember but still with no joy.

Am i going to have to do a fresh install or is there a quick fix?

I had this problem once turns out to be a VGA card problem.
You may find that your VGA is half dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back