Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frequently updated text in many places

Status
Not open for further replies.

frameuser

Technical User
Jun 13, 2001
US
I have a writer whose guide contains a bunch of short descriptions for XML code. Several of the descriptions are the same in many parts of the guide.

When she sends the guide to review, if a SME changes the wording in one occurrence of a description, she needs to update the description everywhere else that it occurs.

For obvious reasons, she'd like to automate this a bit more. Following are the ways that I could think of:

1. Use cross-references to a central file that contains all the descriptions.

* Advantage - When you update the description in the central file, they'll automatically update in the other files.

* Disadvantage - You'd have to create a cross-reference to each paragraph. So, for multiple-paragraph descriptions, you'd have several cross-references. Plus, longer descriptions might run up against the character limit of a x-ref.

2. Put the descriptions in Excel and reference the Excel cells in Frame.

* Advantage - Same as above.

* Disadvantage - You can't format text within a cell(AFAIK). So you couldn't make certain words bold or italic.

3. Use insets.

* Advantage - Same as above.

* Disadvantage - That would be a lot of insets (probably hundreds) with only a little text (a small description) in each. Might be hard to manage.

4. Use some database software.

* Advantage - Maybe the same as above. (?)

* Disadvantage - We don't have anything set up to do something like this.

Are there any other possibilities that I'm not thinking of?

Rick

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

Yes: I often use another method.

I create a "Variables" document with several named text frames. These text frames you can fill with any text at any length - paragraphs included.

Afterwards you can import the content of a specific text frame referenced by its name in other documents.

I use this method often in large books containig a huge number of files with several page layouts - but identical titlings, page numbering or version numbers.

Maybe that's a solution to your problem.

Thomas M. Reuter
Munich/Germany
-------------------
[Mac G4DP, OS 10.3]

Thanks, Thomas. That's how I organize my text insets. All of the text that's for a specific topic is in one frame file with different text flows. When I need to import a piece of text, I import the appropriate flow.

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back