Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequent freezing and stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richginge

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2004
GB
I have just yesterday upgraded my pc. Builing it myself, I compiled a MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3, AMD 64 3500, 1024mb PC3200 DUAL RAM, SATA 80gb hd.

I have flashed bios to newest so it is able to bootup from the sata drive which was my first problem.

Now, my computer freqently freezes in games and in windows. Yesterday it froze 50% more than today however and playing games was just unplayable. Now, after doing nothing it freezes less but still freezes for a few seconds now andn then (around 20-30 secs duration when it freezes).

I have tried setting the RAM mhz speed to 200 and Tx2 so 400mhz for PC320o (ddr400) but same problem. (did this in bios)

Also while in games, I have flashes of white or some colour every so often around the edges of my screen (like my desktop is seeping through when you get an msn msg and you click the game and it pulls you to the desktop) ... I have a Geforce 4 ti4600 (agp 4x setting, on a mobo that can support agp 8x). I tried the newest Forceware drivers from (72.xx i think) then i tried older versions with the same problem. I did NOT have this problem with my old mobo and I was using the same GFX.. I have only upgraded my RAM/MOBO/CPU/-addition sata hd- .

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Windows XP Sp2
Geforce 4 ti4600 (67.03 driver)
Direct X 9.0c
MSI K8N neo2 Platinium nForce3 mobo
AMD 64 3500+
1024 DUAL pc3200 (ddr400) RAM
IDE 40gb HD
SATA 80gb hd *windows and boot drive*
ADSL 512kb

ooh and in bios I have the option (Cpu fan speed detection) enabled .. that speeds up cpuFAN RPM if it detects it getting past a certain temp, or reduce RPM of fan if its cool.

You didn't say what the PSU was. If the memory is new run memtest on it to make sure it's good. Also when it starts to stutter check the CPU temp either in BIOS or get a program that will tell you without rebooting.

350watt CPU.

What problem do i need to run memtest ?

program* , gah need to let us edit posts lol.

(There is a preview post button [smile] Google for memtest I think the latest is memtest 3.0. You create a boot disk and it will run tests on the installed RAM.

If you did a new install of XP SP2, did you degragment the drive?

It is left kind of messay after a new installation.

degragment ?

Well its a NEW sata drive .. and it was formated anyhow befoer installation/

But then you did a new OS install.
Believe me it leaves things a mess.

Defragment...[smile] I would defrag the drive even though it's new. bcastner is correct, it's best to run a defrag after everything is installed.

Jim

Same problem, I will reformat HD and reinstall windows ..
RAM and everything is installed correctly on mobo, bios might not be setup correctly - there might be something wrong there but im not sure what.

If this dont fix it, is it a software or hardware problem (gfx bust somehow ??).

Thanks

I have formated.. installed everything from scratch..

71.20 is the ForceWare driver I am using and I STILL have the same problem .. as soon as i get ingame it frequenty freezes (sound gltiches n all) slow loading and so on..

This must be my GFX, is it somehow broken :( ?

Any ideas.

OK actually i think its a corrupt Direct X installation ..
HOW do i REMOVE direct X ... then reinstall pls.

My windows installs supposidly SP2 + direct x 9.0c but i dont think its doing it correctly ...

Wish to remove Direct X then reinstall as it will not allow me to install over it.

Thanks ANFPS23,
Defragment the drive.

My fingures were stuck, I guess.

In the absence of an Event Viewer error, or a stop error, the possibilities are:

. Disk drive. This includes the need for a BIOS upgrade, a SATA drive upgrade, and most assuredly with a new OS and other program install a forced degragmentation of the drive;

. Check your Virtual Memory settings. They may be too small. It sounds as if allocations are dynamicly being being made to Virtual Memory. See Dan Petri's notes:
. You can defrag the pagefile.sys store:
I honestly believe the "pause" that you are reporting is hard disk related. Whether due to a generanal need to defragment the drive after an OS install, or better and defragmented Virtual Memory is for you to sort. But it is a hard disk issue, my sincere belief, and not an OS setting.

I have not idea why I cannot type quickly defragmentation.

Sigh.

My apologies.

Best Holiday Wishes to all,
Bill

Heh, Merry Christmas and have another egg nog.

Jim

I have followed all this and I still have the same problems - in games I have flashing lights frequently (transparent) and the frequent freezes for afew secounds. During these freezes CPU goes to 100% usage, ram stays quite low at about 512mb pf usage.

I have set 1536mb min and 3076mb max virutal memory on BOTH my windows/boot driver - raid 1 - and on my spare empty C: drive IDE.

I have used that defrad program for pagesys which does it every bootup..

What is the problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back