Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequent Disconnections

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshankarg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
AU
Hi guys,

I am running a windows 2003 server with about 15 XP and 2 2000 clients. The server has 2 NIC cards. One of them is connected to the cable modem directly. The other one is connected to a Switch (LAN). I am using DHCP and RRAS services on the server. My problem is my cable login gets disconnected frequently. Once it gets disconnected, the ipaddress of the NIC which is connected to the cable modem get an ipaddress from the DHCP server (My server). Due to this I am not able to login back in immediately to my cable. I have to disable RRAS, DHCP, LAN Connections and then have to login to Cable. Once that is up, I enable all the connections back.

Could anyone tell me where the problem lies and what can be done to rectify this ?

You could start by making sure the NIC attached to the cable modem doesn't have anything to do with DHCP. Make sure the mac address of that card is excluded from the DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back