Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequent Data Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeisaT

Technical User
Nov 30, 2005
LS
Hello,

I am a consultant whose primary role is to implement and support Business Solutions. Although I can relate to some technical aspects of networking, I am not really an expect in the field.

One of my clients' is experiencing frequent data loss through what I suspect to be "a lost connection" with the Server. This application is using MS Access as a database. Talking to a resident "IT Personnel" doesn't help much because of her obvious lack of knowledge in the field (She is still wet behind the ears).

This site which is running ACCPAC on a Windows 2K Advanced Server and workstations are predominantly running on Windows XP PRO. This is a Server/Client installation whereby both applications and data are residing on the Server. Although the ACCPAC system is a 5-user, the overall number of users is more than 15 sharing the Server.

I would also like to understand the PROS and CONS of running a "Workgroup" instead of a "DOMAIN" on a proper Server Operating System.

As I indicated earlier that the suspect is communication breakdown with the Server, the users often report what is known as "Error 49153" (Unable to Connect to Database) in ACCPAC and it often resolves itself.

I need pointers as to what could be causing this communication breakdown and some arguments I could use proof that the problem is not the application but is network related (If I'm right in my assumption).

Regards,
SeisaT

The main advantage of a domain in my opinion is centralized management. When you are working with a domain, you can control users, passwords, policies, etc. from the active Directory instead of locally on every workstation.

It's hard to troubleshoot the dropped connection problems. You should first start with checking with Accpac. If it is a 5 user system, is it possible it kicks out the 6th user? Also, I think 15 users at the same time is too much for an Access database. Do they have a SQL version of the application?

If they drop connections to other resources like the Internet, then I guess that may prove that is the network. Let us know what kind of switches etc. is running there.

Some clarifications to my previous email.
1. The application that is using Access as database can only allow 2 concurrent users. Thus not even the 5 Users that are mandated to use ACCPAC can access it concurrently. So the 15 that I was talking about are just using the Server for other applications + data. I was only mentioning the 15 Users because of what I was told about the limitations of Workgroup not exceeding 10 concurrent users (I'm not sure if this is true).

2. Since I posted this thread, I went back to the client for a few minutes and learned from another user that she has been experiencing the cut-off with other data she was accessing (Non-ACCPAC).

I will get the inventory of the hardware and will let you know.

Somebody mentioned that the Server, Hubs/Switches as well as the clients workstations should all be on UPS. That if the Hub/Switch powers off, then there is a likelyhood of data loss. Is this true?

Regards,
SeisaT

In answer to number 1, the 10 user workgroup limit that you refer to, if I remember, was Microsoft's recommendation for a peer to peer workgroup setup. I think the fact that you are in a client server environment would make that a non-issue. I don't know if changing to a domain structure would improve performance.

I do agree that switches should be on a UPS. You would definitely lose connection if the switch loses power. Also, I would try to eliminate any hubs in the network and go with switches.

Troubleshooting network connectivity problems can be tedious, but being that it happens to different users to different resources, I would start by checking the switches.

Network connectivity is really a pain. But usually, I tackle such problems from the hardware first before the software so check all the switches and if you can replace the hubs with switches,fine.
For the software,check the license regulations and know how many users can log on to the database at the same time. For example if the license is 5 users then not more that 5 users can log on at the same time
Another tip is take note of the error message and call the tech support for the said software and they will be able to tell you exactly the problem or just google the error message and it can help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back