Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

French characters in Form elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garabaldi

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
CA
Hiya Folks,

I have a bit of a situation...

I currently have a web form that has drop down boxes in french. French has a lot of special characters in it. The current issue I'm running into is if I use an the Name Code in the form element I will see the form element. If I use the Glyph... I see something else all together.

Anyone know a way to get the proper French Character render properly???

Thanks...

You should have no problems using the correct HTML Character Entities.

For example, this displays perfectly correctly for me:

Code:
<select>
	<option>&Agrave;&Aacute;&Acirc;&Atilde;</option>
</select>

Hope this helps,
Dan

Thanks Bill... I've tried that and it output "&aacute;"

I'll keep trying...

Thanks again,

Do you have any other code on the page that could be affecting the drop-downs?

If you save the 3 lines of code above as-is, without modification, as an HTML file (don't put anything else in the file), and load it into IE, do you still see codes displaying on the screen in the select box instead of accented characters?

Dan

Actually - I'm concerned... How you could get "&aacute;" (lower case 'a') when I had "&Aacute;" (upper case 'A')... Did you type it in, or copy and paste it as-is?

Dan

Sorry Bill... what I meant is that i've gone through my code and replace all the accecented e's and a's with their code name. When I view it the code name comes through.

This is part of a php page which is pulling these values from a database (that's where i made the changes)... It also running through a javascript source.

Would that have anything to do with it???

Thanks...

Is it possible that your php program is being too clever - and converting any & signs it comes across, including the ones in your character entities into &amp;? Check by doing a view source on the page that's output - it may be full of stuff like "&amp;aacute;".

Not sure what you mean by "Running through a Javascript source", but I'd take out as much extraneous stuff as I could while getting it working - then re-introduce them one-by-one making sure they don't mess it up again.

Do you have a URL for this page that we can see?

-- Chris Hunt

Can you please try my suggestion above, as-is, and see if it works for you or not. You haven't said if you tried it stand-alone, as I asked.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back