Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freezing PC - Out of Ideas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalmail

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
Firstly, I am almost certain that the problem isn't OS related, but the PC does run XP Pro so there is a tenuous link.

In short, the PC freezes several times a day. Not a blue screen, but simply that the screen freezes and all HDD activity stops. Beyond that I have no further information. The Event Viewer tells me nothing at all.

I have a K7VZA motherboard running an Athlon 1.4GHz processor plus 2 IDE HDDs, 1 IDE DVD burner and 1 IDE CD burner.

I have tried removing each piece of hardware and testing with a replacement, but it makes no difference. I have done this with practically every component - HDDs, memory, sound card, graphics card etc. Each time the PC has frozen.

I even removed all components and moved them into an identical chassis with motherboard and processor, and the problem persists.

Upgraded BIOS too with no joy.

The only thing I can think of is that the processor may be overheating and causing the fail, but the processor fan is functional, along with the PSU fan and a fan in the back of the chassis.

Anyone any ideas or links to good, free diagnostic tools?

Thanks. Looks like I'm not the only one. Just going through some of those links.

Anyone know where I can download a free tool that monitors processor temperature?

hi, most likely it is the temp problem. check to see that the heatsink is completely in contact with the processor mechanically, you cant rule out the possibility of plastic breakage of the heatsink retaining clips. check/monitor temperature in cmos hardware monitor if applicable. good luck

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After finding so many links of people complaining about the same motherboard freezing, I tied it down to the motherboard/bios.

Motherboard Monitor shows the CPU at a fairly regular 49C, so that ruled out heat problems.

One link suggested that an older BIOS version (3.4 if anyone is interested) is more reliable, so I have downgraded to that and so far the machine hasn't frozen for at least 5 hours, which is a huge improvement over previous performance. Hopefully it will remain stable.

Top tip - NEVER buy a K7VZA, and if someone offers you one for free, politely decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back