Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freezes on start up-trying to enter selective startup-Windows ME-

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITit

Instructor
Oct 15, 2002
US
I'm trying to remove a program -but first i have to get it out of the start-up sequence. I tried safe and normal mode, but after windows ME loads, it freezes up and i can't do anything (keyboard or mouse).
I can boot up fine, off the floppy or cdrom and i can run normal or safe mode, but in normal and safe mode, i haven't been able to keep the computer running long enough to enter msconfig and do a selective startup.
ANy ideas-batch files, automatic selective start-ups if it's possible, boot disks or use with bootable windows me cd.
Thanks.
-IT_it

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occuring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

If you have the boot menu use the last options where you can answer yes or no to items starting do not let your virus program start or anything else you are not sure of.
You may have to take a couple of tries at it.

What program are you trying to uncheck in msconfig??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back