Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freeze-up on incoming call after disconnecting from ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mockorange

Instructor
Apr 13, 1999
US
two of my clients have the compaq presario 5140. <br>
both lock up (or freeze) after disconnecting from the internet, but only when an incoming call comes in. almost as if the modem is still 'on'. this can be really bad if they have checked email, logged off, then started some other task like database entry. if they don't save often, all is lost if their phone rings. <br>
<br>
i tested by removing alot from startup using msconfig, and even used END TASK (ctrl-alt-del) to end all memory resident programs after logging off (except explorer, systray), and still got a freeze up on an incoming call. <br>
<br>
the work-around is to physically disconnect the phone line from the machine after logging off. here's some other info that might help: the modem is Rockwell HCF 56k PCI, with ECC and flow control on. the driver came with machine and is dated RSS 4-6-98. the ISP in both cases is 28.8. <br>
<br>
the only app that seemed to be still in memory after logging off is rnaapp (the dial-up networking app) but even after ending that task, still freezes up on incoming call. <br>
<br>
these are the other apps listed in END TASK dialog that i ended with alt-ctrl-del: Backweb,Bttnserv,Cpqeaui,Iowatch,Atitask,Aticwd32,Imgicon,Watchdog. <br>
<br>
is there some setting for the modem that i can set to tell it to ignore incoming calls? there is no fax/answering software loaded (that i know of.) this problem has plagued me for months! and my clients don't get any satisfaction from compaq.

Well, I'm certainly no expert in this area, but I do have a few ideas spinning around in my mind.<br>
Before I make any suggestions, though, I must know for sure what OS your clients are using (I'm guessing Win95 from the info you've given). Once I know the OS, I can have a very good idea of what software IS on them that we can use.<br>
I hope that, with this information, I will be able to be of some assistance to you.<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
<br>
<br>
P.S. Have either of them tried a different ISP? A quick thing to check (to make sure we know EXACTLY what we need to fix) is by trying the same thing with one of their computers on a different ISP. One free ISP that I know of sit netzero (URL: you can download the software from tehir site. Try connecting one of your clients' computers through them, disconnect, tehn see if the problem still exists. (this information could be EXTREMELY helpful if finding the root of this 'glich'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back