Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freeze.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matheny

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
US
I usually don't run a screensaver. However a link (forgot on which site) to Freeze.com offering a waterfall screensaver looked interesting.

Freeeze offers "free" screensavers (trial versions). Sounds good, if I like it I'll by the full version. Then the surprise—Freeze fails to inform that upon installation not only does the "trial" screensaver itself contain advertising messages, the installation also places five or six internet links on the desktop. All this without prior notice.

I couldn't find any warning of this on the Freeze site. Possibly Freeze is relying on this statement appearing in their user information section:

"Please be aware that Freeze.com partners, advertisers, and web sites that have links on our site [emphasis added] may collect personally identifiable information about you. The information practices of those Internet access partners, advertisers, and web sites linked to Freeze.com are not covered by this privacy statement."

On the other hand, if you want to be automatically linked to a Bingo or other gambling site, Freeze.com is the place!

Fly by night - Fly by Freeze.com

Prime example that nothing on the web is really free... spyware at it's best.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back