Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freed up disk space does not show in df 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thief

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
I have deleted a file in a filesytem worth 1.7g, but the freed up space is not showing. before the filesystem was 90% full with 8gb of total fs. and now it is 87% full.

if i add up 'du' it coming to 5.12 gigs total. but in df it is showing only abt 970 meg free.

now..
/dev/lv04 8060928 978812 88% 92887 30% /apps/

what r my options... can i run synclvodm on running system?
cud anyone suggest whats happening?

thanks for help in advance

Thief................ ::)
(I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us .)

It seems that there was one process (or more!) that were accessing the file you deleted!

You can check that using either fuser or lsof!

This usually happens when the file was open when deleted.

Regards,
Khalid

> what r my options... can i run synclvodm on running system?

You can... But why?

The file you deleted is still open. You need to tell the app to release it or restart it.

thanks guys, it was a deleted log file and after restarting the process the space was seen...

Thief................ ::)
(I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us .)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back