Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FREEBSD INSTALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvmess

Technical User
Feb 25, 2001
US
I AM NEW TO UNIX-BEEN ADMIN FOR NT FOR AWHILE= TRYING TO INSTALL FREE BSD AND I AM NOT HAVING ALOT OF SUCCESS=I READ ENTIRE BOOK FROM WALNUT CREEK AND FOLLOWED INSTALL PROCEDURES WORD FOR WORD- I STILL KEEP GETTING SAME MESSAGE " No Boot loader >>freebsd/i386 BOOT DEFAULT:0:AD(0,A)/KERNEL BOOT: NO KERNEL " I DONT THINK INSTALL IS RUNNING FROM CD- WHEN I INITIALIZE INSTALL IT TAKES LIKE 2 SEC AND SAYS "INSTALL COMPLTETED WITH SOME ERRORS- ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED--PLEASE ALLOW ME TO DISCOVER UNIX :)

Have you tried a different CD or a different computer.
I was just having the same problems with one PC earlier this month and as soon as I tried a different PC witht the same CD the install went flawlessly ... I have also had a bum CD about a year ago. To fix the bum CD problem I downloaded the ISO from FreeBSD's ftp site and burnt a fresh copy ....

Other than those two reason's I havent seen an install fail.

I just installed freebsd the otherday on a machine. I recived the sames error two or three times.

I was not able to pin point he problem, however I did get it installed. I think it had something to do with setting up the partitions and filesystems. I would pay close attention to this part of the install.

-Danny

just a thought :
I had the same problems.The thing i wasnt doing right was not taking care of the IRQ conflicts during install time.after five-six unsuccessful installs , i did that and and it installed without any other problems.

Hi there,

The problem here i think, is with the disk. Like your self i too came from a NT background to FreeBSD. I found that if you reload a disk that has been formatted in dos/win the boot record info is uncorrect and for some reason is not always writable/correctable by the BSD install process.

Although the OS will appear to load, when you reboot it fails to find the boot record

Tthe fix is to get a win98 boot disk or any bootable flopy with a copy of FDISK.EXE and boot to DOS and issue the command FDISK /MBR or FDISK c:/MBR.

This will replace the Master Boot Record and point it to the freeBSD bootstrap loader.

Hope this helps.

I was so impressed i killed my NT4 server and replaced it with a BSD4.2 doing exactly the same things (file share, proxy, and more (dns, POP+ SMTP, ftp) Took a good couple of months to learn everything, but well worth it!

Jaybot!
Ex NT guru - Don't loose hope, and Keep the faith!

I'm not sure why I say this, but I think the syntax for wiping the Master Boot Loader is "fdisk/mbr" (without a space). Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember once trying this several times, and it would seem to work, but the MBR was still there, until a friend of mine who is a true guru corrected me.

As for replacing NT with FreeBSD, it is like going from training wheels to a full bicycle (remember those days?). You will feel a little unsteady at first, but once the feeling of freedom catches on, you will LOVE it.

I had the same problem because I installed on a completely new drive. There is a progam on the FreeBSD site that will write the correct master boot record to your boot drive. Go to FTP://ftp.FreeBSD,Org/pub/FreeBSD/tools. There you will find Boot.bin, bootinst.exe, fbsdboot.exe, and (most importantly) a readme.txt file.

HTH,
PJ

Just 1 small correction to PossumJohns entry, the url should be ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/ (like I said just a small correction (replaced a comma with a period before .org)

Thanks for the correction PJ (PepsiJoe). I guess I need to put my fat fingers on a diet after the holidays <:cool:. For those who want to go to the correct site - FTP://ftp.FreeBSD.Org/pub/FreeBSD/tools.

Happy holidays,
PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back