Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

freeBSD bind9.4.1 not reporting nslookup correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay57

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2007
US
I'm hoping that someone here can explain a very strange issue. I recently had to configure a new internal nameserver after the old server smoked itself. All is working, however, when using nslookup, the response looks like:

bitstream# nslookup bitstream
Server: bitstream.aablueprint.com
Address: 0.0.0.0

Name: bitstream.aablueprint.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

BTW, this is asking the nameserver what it's name is. Notice the first address reported for the Server. I cannot figure out why it keeps saying 0.0.0.0, but the same issue is breaking rndc. I have checked all the zone files, and experimented with removing several of them from the conf file - like all the reverse lookup files. I expected this to cause an error out, but the response was the exact same thing as above!

anyone?
--
Jay

Nevermind, all. After considering this over the weekend, I realized that I had an error in /etc/resolv.conf. That was the entire problem.
--
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back