Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free web hosting that allows Img link

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnOB

Technical User
Oct 5, 2006
GB
I was wondering if anyone knew of any free web site hosting services (like Tripod etc) but which let you include an image hosted on their site in your own html, on another site.

I want to do this for ebay auctions, using html and having embedded pictures, which need to be hosted somewhere. I used to use the free webspace from my ISP, but I changed ISP and do not get any web space with them. I tried this with Tripod but when I try to do it instead of seeing my own images, I see their placeholder logo thingy.

I know I can get a service now for pretty cheap monthly, but wondered if there were any free ones out there that allowes external referencing of images.

Thanks

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

Imageshack?
Photobucket?

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

free.prohosting.com
there may be a setup fee (didnt use to) but I have 2 sites there and can use image files from other sites to display.

There are limitations now however on their free service.
No zip/exe for downloads. I have to use another site to store the zip or exe but can call it from prohosting.

Nice thing is no ads.

Amazon S3

--

Actually, S3 isn't free. But it is very inexpensive.

--

Google's Picasa - you can use the web share part without the software download.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

A quick Google search for "free image host" will likely yield hundreds of results. The problem I've found with a lot of these services is that they give you a finite amount of bandwidth per month (not that this is unreasonable), and once users have exceeded this limit -- it gets used up faster than you might think! (think 200kB * 1000) -- the pictures will no longer load until the counter is reset at the start of the next month. I have found that I can link to my MySpace pictures. I just copy the URL from the picture after I upload it. The one caveat is that the profile has to be public in order for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back