Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

free stylesheets? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrawny

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
Do I have to create all the code for the CSS myself? What, no WYSIWYG to help me?
Anyplace I can get free stylesheets from the internet?
And what fonts do you think are the most reliable to use in CSS?

1. More or less, yes. I have heard people using Macromedia HomeSite but don't really know how it works. I gather it would be pretty hard for a wysiwyg editor to guess the best css for you. Think that you're programming or something.

2. Everywhere. Go to a page you like, do a 'view source', find a <link> or <style> part and see where it links to. Download the stylesheet and you're done. (Much easier with Mozilla or FF and Web Developer toolbar installed -- just select CSS -> view CSS) Also, there are many sites that have prewritten css layouts. Here's one:

3. Most reliable fonts are: serif, sans-serif, monospace, fantasy and cursive. They are so called generic font types and will work with every computer/browser out there. The thing with CSS is that you can downgrade fonts and that is what you should do:
Code:
font-family: "My Special Font that No one Else Has", Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
This is extreme, but let's say you want to use a font that only some installation of Windows have. Put it first, followed by fonts that might look similar. Browser will scan through the fonts as long as it doesn't find a match, all the way until the last one, which is generic type and suggest computer to use a font that is sans-serif. Note the use of quotes: quotes around font names with multiple words, no quotes with other fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back