Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free parent filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

derajer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2005
US
I am trying to find a free "proxy server" that can be installed on the computer that is going to be proxying for. In addition to my admin job, I do side jobs for friends, family, co-workers, and anyone else who needs help. I have found that a lot of parents want to filter their internet for their kids protection. I am trying to find some sort of filter that can be installed on the Windows machine that it is filtering. I could setup a dedicated system, but that's just not practical in a home for many reasons.

Hi,
with a copy of SquidNT, you can install this on a Win2K/XP/2003 box and have a large URL blacklist file with the URLs of unwanted websites and configure Internet Explorer to surf through the local proxy (localhost).
You can also use Squid to block certain file extensions, thus prevent executables being downloaded, preventing spyware, malware, etc also.
When the 'wrong sort of URL' is encountered, the browser is redirected to a local web page that can contain whatever you want - for example "WEBPAGE BLOCKED!!!".

I've got this running on my sons PC - poor little bugger can't go anywhere now!

Phil B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back