Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free/low-cost Linux SNMP apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm looking to put some network monitoring in place, and since I'm new to SNMP, I thought I'd try & get opinions from some of the more experienced people here. In the short term, I'm looking at free/low-cost Linux-based apps, with an eye towards (maybe) stepping up to a commercial solution once management sees the potential benefit.

My primary focus is on being able to quickly determine if/when a specific machine (or connection) is down (and to have the program notify the admin) - but being able to view stats from various devices would be a plus as well.

This would be used in an enterprise environment, and I'd probably try to (eventually) use it to monitor everything from local printers to routers/switches in remote offices.

If you've utilized any apps that match my criteria, and you've found one or more to be really well done, I'd sure like to hear about them.

Thanks,

T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back