Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free Java web applet to display a single tiff image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
I have searched the web and spent at least a couple of hours on this with different libraries and such. However, being 100% new to Java and web applets I haven't hit a home run yet.

All I need is an applet which will display a tiff image in a browser, with the url of the image given by parameter. (Or I could put the image byte data directly into a parameter, I don't care.) The url of the image will be .asp with a query string, but it will provide the binary contents of a tiff file.

Ability to zoom or pan would be nice but not required.

I've played around with the lizardworks tiff library, but simply don't know enough. I downloaded the Applet Example for 1.1.3 but I'm pretty sure that I have to compile any changes I make to the TiffApplet.java file and haven't gotten that far yet.

There are a number of not-free tiff image viewers online. Does anyone know where I might get a free one? Is any expert willing to take ten minutes to whomp me up such a thing? At least send me in the right direction?

I would love to learn more about java and web applets some time, but I am slammed with work right now and just need a solution for a crucial project with a nearing deadline.

Thank you in advance for any time or effort you spend to help me.

Erik

[COLOR=#aa88aa black]Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.[/color]

Yeah, just looked and there are several commercial versions available. If the project is crucial as you say, and the deadline is near, wouldn't it be safer to splash out and buy one?

Tim

Safer in one sense of meeting the deadline, yes.

But I do have until July 15 to have a working solution, and my preference is to have the solution built totally in-house. It will not take THAT long for me to get up to speed on Java and web applets (I know several other programming languages including javascript, and I am somewhat of a web developer).

So... anyone have any ideas or help for me?

[COLOR=#aa88aa black]Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.[/color]

Okay, so it was easier than I thought. Compiling is quite simple, and I'm working on getting my applet going (will start a new thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back