Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free IIS ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedj

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
Hi.

Is it possible to run Web Service apps in a free /open application server, or do you have to have Server 200* installed.

As a Java developer, I've been used to open / free app containers and IDEs like Tomcat and Eclipse, and find it frustrating to be forced into the IIS/Server 200* and VS.NET route.

Is it possible to get open source dev and deployment tools for C#.NET ??!!!

Thanks,
Ben

You might want to look at the Ximian Mono project on Linux. I don't know how mature their web framework and web services are, but ASP.NET under Mono is available.

the webmatrix comes with a server (of sorts) called cassini, not sure if it will do what you need, but it's free.
i've seen articles about extending cassini (can't remember where the articles are), but take a look at the above link and it might have some links or google them maybe.

there is also an open source C# editor called SharpDevelop here:

forgot to mention that webmatrix is free also and you get msde with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back