Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frantpage & IIS Folder Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrycork

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2002
GB
We have an IIS server which hosts an Intranet which we update with MS Frontpage.

We have an issue when trying to create folders with restricted access. The IIS server is using 'Integrated Windows Authentication'. By default when we create a folder under it gives permission to LOCALMACHINE\ADMINISTRATOR amongst others. The strange thing is that this seem to allow all users access to browse this folder. If we move LOCALMACHINE\ADMINISTRATOR from the access on the folder and add the users we want to be able to browse the pages in the folder this works however when we try to edit any of the web pages within the folder from Frontpage it reports the folder as being empty.

If we put LOCALMACHINE\ADMINISTRATOR back into the permissions then we can edit the pages in Frontpage but again it allows all users access.

The strange thing is that some folders within the same allow us to add permissions successfully therefore the issue is not consistent.

One other point to note. If we share the folder through windows explorer the assigned permissions behave correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Joe,

Afraid not. As a work around we grant LOCALMACHINE\ADMINISTRATOR access to modify the pages in Frontpage when we need to then take them back out when are finnished which restores the security.

I assume from your question you have the same issue.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Knock on wood, I haven't had the same issue. I have been spending as much time as I can learning about how the FPSE & IIS users work, and how the FPSE components screw up non-default NTFS ACL's.

Do you have any OWS_Groups? When you change the perm's on the folders are you allowing propagations to child folders?

Seems very strange that you'd have to use the Administrator to grant access.

What OS and IIS version are you running?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes we do propagate to child folders. We have IIS5 on a 2000 server. The server has all the latest SP's & updates. What we did find was that when we performed the 2000 Server SP4 install we could no longer upload a file to the IIS server through Frontpage if that file was greater than 1Mb. It we try this we get the error 'Server Connection Timed Out'. Files smaller than 1Mb are fine. On reaserching this issue we found many others have the same problem however no fix was ever issued by Microsoft as far as I can see.

The funny thing with our server is that some folder have access permissions setup that work.

It seems to be that any new folders created do not work. I think these issues may also have been a result of the SP4 install.

Regards OWS Groups, What are these? Office Web Services?

Regards,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back