Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Framework 3.5 website not working properly under Windows7 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rofeu

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
NL
Hello,

I've been creating a website in VS08 with .NET framework 3.5 on a 32-bit machine running Windows Vista.

Everything was working as expected. However, I've now gotten a new computer. This is 64-bit machine running Windows 7.

When running the site in debug mode, there are several things that do not seem to work anymore. Some examples are:
Form.DefaultFocus and Form.DefaultButton are not set.
DDL.SelectedIndexChanged is not firing.

I've already uninstalled all of the frameworks and reinstalled just 3.5.1, but that didn't help.

I tried running aspnet_regiis as was suggested by one of the few posts that seemed related, but it doesn't seem to even recognize the command.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Rofeu

the .net frameworks can be installed side by side, no need to uninstall them. what you describe are actions/events that are triggered on the client, which may or may not result in a postback.
What version of IE are you running? I would assume IE 9 on a Win7 box. What version of IE were you running on your previous box: 7, 8?

IE 9 is buggy with legacy html standards. I haven't used it, but others have reported problems with it. The solution I see most often is running IE 9 in legacy/compatibility mode. this way it treats the DOM as it would in IE 8.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

thanks for the reply.

I've read that IE9 was buggy, so I'm still using IE8 on my Win7 machine (which I was also using on my old pc). It's even using the 32-bit version of IE8 for debugging. (realized to late that I should've put that in the original post)

Is it possible that the fact that it is using the 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine is the reason for the strange behavior?

If so, how do I tell VS8 to use the 64-bit version?

Cheers,

Rofeu

I doubt that's the problem the methods you are having a problem with relate to webforms generated javascript. these may just be symptoms of the root cause. but i would start here. Also, try debugging with a different browser (ff 3.6, ff 4, chrome, etc). this will help determine if the problem is the browser, or webforms.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Hello,

I've published the site using my old pc and called the site on my new pc and it works perfectly in IE8 (32 and 64), IE9, Safari and Firefox 4. (tried Chrome and Opera too, but they couldn't connect for some reason).

I've tried running the site in debug mode and it works for Safari and Firefox, but not for any of the IE's.

It doesn't seem to be related to webforms, but then again, it doesn't seem to be related to the browser either (I'm guessing if it were the behavior would persist in the published site).

Can there be something wrong with my installation of VS8?

Cheers,

Rofeu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back