Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Framesets, iFrames and Z-Index 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkrypted

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
Currently I have a webpage that consists of an index.html file. In the index.html there is a framset

Index.html
Code:
<frameset rows="9%,75%">
  <frame src="header.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no">
  <frame src="body.html" frameborder="0">
</frameset>

In the header.html frame src, there is an iframe listed on it. The iframe pulls a search.html file. I currently have an autocomplete script on that search.html page.

Header.html
Code:
<script>
function open_win()
{
window.open("timer.html")
}
</script>

</head>
	<body>
		<table align="left" border="0" height="50">
				<tr>
					<td valign="middle" width="130">
						<a class="button" href="timer.html" onclick="javascript:void window.open ('timer.html','1379021975963','width=412,height=400,toolbar=0,menubar=0,location=0,status=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=0,left=700,top=355');return false;">Timer</a></td>
</tr>
</table>
<table align="left" border="0" height="30">
<tr>
					<td width="350"><center>
<iframe src="marquee.html" name="marquee" width="350" height="40" frameborder="no" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</center></td>
</tr>
</table>
<table align="left" border="0" height="200">
<tr>
	<td valign="top">
		<center>
<iframe src="search.html" width="325" height="200" frameborder="no" scrolling="no"></iframe>
		</center>
	</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Now what's happening is that when someone types in the search box, the autocomplete works, but only inside it's frameset. Is it possible to get the drop down from the autocomplete to go over both framesets with a z-index or something?

Enkrypted
A+

Iframes were traditionally for including information from other websites.

Your code would be far simpler to manage if you put it all in a single page and removed the frameset

Keith

Yeah I'm currently working with it that way now, but need to have certain information always displayed at the top while the rest of the page can scroll which is why I had the frameset. Right now it's all on the same page and it works, but there are collapsible divs on the page and when they are expanded, they push the elements I want displayed at the top at all times off the page.

Enkrypted
A+

but need to have certain information always displayed at the top while the rest of the page can scroll

That is what position: fixed is used for, NOT frames or iframes.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back