Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
is it possible (maybe using javascript??)to open a frameset from a link on a non-framed page and then to set the source documents to that frame?

I know this is possible when you are already within the frameset, but how about from outside it?

thanks. How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Many thanks to you romanni, however, it's not exactly what I was looking for, but it's certainly pretty cool. I'm sure I can use that bit of code somewhere on some of my sites.

It does open several windows from a separate window, however it does not address the issue of setting frame sources within those windows. How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

for anyone who this might help in the future:

After much reading, I finally figured it out. The answer is that you use ASP "QueryString" to do this. In the link that you want to control frames with you put somehing like:

<A HREF=&quot;Frames.asp?myVariable1=somepage.html&myVariable2=otherpage.html>myexample</a>

this will pass value2 and value3 in the querystring found in the address window to whatever page comes next, in this case &quot;frames.asp&quot;

The trick is to remember the &quot;?&quot; and that means whatever comes after it will be passed in the QueryString.

Then, on frames.asp page, you do something like this for each frame you want to specify the source for:

<frame src=&quot;<% Response.Write (Request.QueryString (&quot;myVariable1&quot;))%>&quot; frameborder=&quot;NO&quot; marginwidth=&quot;0&quot; marginheight=&quot;0&quot; name=&quot;frameSide&quot; scrolling=&quot;NO&quot; noresize>

Two relevant postings can be found at:

thread333-75292 How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back