Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frames do not display in google 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriakos70

Programmer
Jul 24, 2008
GR
I have a question, i have created a webpage with frames, when I google the webpage with a text inside in a frame I get the result but when I click on the result I only see the page that has the text and not all the frameset.
How can I solve this?

Thank you
Kyriakos

Not use frames. What you describe is the normal behavior of frames.

I really have not seen a website that would need to employ frames and am pretty sure you would be able to redesign your page easily to not use them. Especially if you have access to some sort of server side scripting, even if only server side includes.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

That's likely because Google is linking only to the frame with the text and not your frame set.

The usual way to fix this is to have some Javascript that forces the loading of the frame set if its not there.

However, as Vrag points out using frames is highly discouraged for this and many other reasons.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I am sure you don't care (like you didn't care before), but the solution will not work for the search engines, because their spiders run without javascript. That means that search engines will still get stuck not crawling through your site if they come upon any of the subpages.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

[ ]

kyriakos70

If you must use frames, or think you must use frames, you must incorporate a way for the viewers of your pages when found via search engines to go to the framed view of your pages. That way they can navigate anywhere within your site. You definitely do NOT want the viewers to wind up on a dead end page.

I use frames throughout my website (mmerlinn.com) so what I have done is to put links on EVERY page so that the viewers can navigate anywhere within my site regardless of how they found me in the first place. Since many of the frames contain useless information for indexing purposes I make sure those pages have a robots meta tag for not indexing them since I really don't want Google serving them up as indexed pages.

I also make sure that every indexable frame is a fully functional stand-alone page. That way when found via search engines the viewer can use what the search engine serves up even though it is only a single frame. You do not want viewers to leave your site because the served up frame is incomplete or has no way to get them to your main framed pages.

Because of the way I massively cross-URL my site, Google has no problems finding and indexing every indexable page on my site, some 4000+ pages.

mmerlinn

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond

I do hope, for your own sanity that your 4000+ pages are created dynamically from a database?
I have never encountered a website which must use frames and you really do have to go back quite a way to find browsers which are non CSS compatible.

Keith

Thank you Mmerlinn and Vragabond (you say something about php I will see it).

Kyriakos

audiopro

Those pages are static pages - not dynamically created. Search engines do a horrible job of indexing dynamic pages and when they do they cannot seem to serve up the same page twice using the same search terms. When my customers do a search they want the same page to come up every time, not one page to be cached and different one show when refreshed.

Not only that, but dynamic pages load slowly. I have a competitor that dynamically generates pages using PHP and it is very irritating waiting 10-20 seconds for PHP to generate the page and serve it up on a cable connection. The average load time (according to Google) of my pages is under 1 second per page.

And I have no problem with my sanity when it comes to those pages. I wrote a FoxPro program which generates them from a database including everything needed for them to function correctly. Generation plus uploading time is around 1400 pages per hour on a dialup connection. I could do the same thing with CSS, but it will not happen in the near future, if ever.

25% of the hits on my pages are from NS4/IE5 and earlier. It is much easier to use frames since almost every browser serves them up the same way using the same code. Not so with any other method I know of.

Soon I will be making a 'minor' improvement to the pages to limit the number of pages regenerated to keep from regenerating pages that have not changed. When I do that, frames will be far the best solution since I can keep the hundreds of menus totally separate from the thousands of pages. Not using frames would require regenerating hundreds of pages where only the menu changed and none of the content changed or would require using some kind of server side scripting to keep the menus updated, neither of which is a good option for me.

mmerlinn

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond

I have numerous examples of dynamic web sites which require very little maintenance, except for product listing and pages load as quickly as any static site.

Not using frames would require regenerating hundreds of pages where only the menu changed

The whole point of a dynamic website is that appropriate menus are created automatically and any changes involve editing a single file and are reflected site wide.

Keith

Not only that, but dynamic pages load slowly.
Tell that to anybody with a blog. Or with a CMS (i.e. just about all commercial web sites). Heck, the site you're looking at right now is generated dynamically and I don't see any particular performance of indexing problems.

I have a number of static, or mostly static page websites. There's nothing wrong with them, but don't kid yourself that they have some great technical advantage.

Oh, and frames suck. Everybody builds at least one site with frames, and sooner or later they figure out what a bad idea it was. If you're lucky you figure out sooner, and aren't stuck with masses of pages to rewrite.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back