Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frames and Search Engine Submission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
IE
I have a customer who has asked me to submit their site to search engines, unfortunately their site is constructed using frames, Is there any way it will work correctly, moving away from frames is not a option at this stage. Any help much appreciated.

C.

here is what i did.

submit your main page to the search engine, and 5 of the pages that have no frames on them (the pages that are in the frames themselves.)

put on each of the 5 pages (and on all others) a script that will reload the page in frames and that is basicaly it.

search engine will link to all pages in your website, but separatly. than when a user accesses it the page will RELOAD in a frames. :)

hope this helps :)

Here are some pages to review:

Also:

put the meta tags like discribed below:
The most important is the title tag! Describe in the title what your site is about with ~100 caracters

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>your title</TITLE>
<META name=&quot;DESCRIPTION&quot; content=&quot;your description&quot;>
<META name=&quot;KEYWORDS&quot; content=&quot;kleinkeyword1, keword2, keyword3&quot;>
<META name=&quot;ROBOTS&quot; content=&quot;index,follow&quot;>
<META name=&quot;LANGUAGE&quot; content=&quot;english,US&quot;>
<META NAME=&quot;DISTRIBUTION&quot; CONTENT=&quot;global&quot;>
</HEAD>

<!-- now your frameset --->
<FRAMESET rows=&quot;100%,*&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot;>
<FRAME SRC=&quot;#&quot; scrolling=&quot;auto&quot;>
<FRAME scrolling=&quot;no&quot; noresize src=&quot;#&quot;></FRAMESET>
<!-- framset end -->

<!-- content for browsers without frames -->
<NOFRAMES>
<BODY>
A short description about your website with links to the single pages
</BODY>
</NOFRAMES>
<!-- end content for browsers without frames -->

</HTML>

Status