Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frames and Layers problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracey27

MIS
Mar 9, 2001
US
I have 3 frames left, top and main. Inserted into my left frame is my site navigator, which has popout menu's created with layers. My menus/layers do not show on mouseover, because the main frame covers them up...how do I control this. Can I overlap these layer, over the main frame?

you cannot overlap in frames....I had the same problem and ended up removing my frames and going with a normal page layout. There aren't too many options for this particular situation. Ya' Gotta Love It!:)X-)

Thanks Jeff,

When you say normal page layout, do you mean use tables instead. I'm not sure that I can target a table cell... so do I have to place my navigator on each page? Thanks agin for the info!

Tracey

I do not use layers in dreamweaver too much but I think I would create my layer with the navigation bar on it....select the whole layer and make a library item out of it. This would allow you to be able to modify the layer and the navigation one time and the changes would take place at every instance of that item. I have never tried making a layer into a library item but someone told me you could. Regardless at least do this to your nav bar and then pull it from the library and onto each page.

You can use tables also but you definitely do not have to. Ya' Gotta Love It!:)X-)

does this answer your question or do we need to go into more detail? Ya' Gotta Love It!:)X-)

That pretty much answers my question, I've never used the Library in Dreamweaver, but will definately give it a try. Thanks for the info, it sounds promising!

Tracey27

Jeff, creating an instance in the Library did not work, my navigator loses it's form because the Style Sheet info is not copied with it. Should I possibly add a layer to the Vav Bar, set up my page and make it a template, to use throughout the site...? Help and Thanks again!

Tracey27

I see what you are saying...you could use a template, although Dreamweaver templates seem cumbersome to me...looks like there would be a way to attach the css info to the library item....

Designing a template may be the easiest way to get what you need in this instance....meanwhile, I will do some research and see if there is a way to use the library and still retain the css.

Ya' Gotta Love It!:)X-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back