Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frames and Forms question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbedude

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
US
Im building a page that that has 3 frames in the frame set in the index page.
Frames
1st Search
2nd Add or Update
3rd Display

Q - Is it possible to have 1 form submit to 2 Frames?
FYI - If a user selects to edit one record they click on the Form edit Button which is in each row. I want to display only that record in the second frame. Then i want to display in the 3rd frame all of records except the one selected. I have it now that the form posts back to its self which returns the id for the query that filters out the selected id. I need to also pass this id to the 2nd Frame to 2nd frame to filte out all but the selected id. How can you do this Cookies ? urls ? or in a Form ?

Thank you in advance and i hope the question and backround are not confusing.

I don't believe it's possible to have one form submit to two action pages, no.

If you have a lot of data to share, what you can do is have the form submit to the frameset page, or, possibly, one of the frames... then have that page store off all the form variables into your session scope. Then all the pages would have access to the data.

But if all you need to do is pass an ID to each page, you can do this in any of the other ways you mentioned (URL, Cookies).

-Carl

Define javascript functions on your index page to load your results to the desired frame or frames. Then from the search (or Add/Update) frame call the functions on the index page via javascript "parent.myfunction();".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back