Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame speed on 120 hz flat screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyzzzzz

Vendor
Mar 28, 2006
US
Is it possible to play at 120 fps on a 120 hz flat screen?

With 3D it splits the picture into two pictures and runs them alternately but its probably only running at 30 fps. So that's still only 60 fps and it takes a 120 hz monitor to do that. You can't do it on a 60 hz monitor.

So my guess is no, but I don't know for sure.

Mike

I ran across a little more info

Because the screen display is interlaced, meaning that it draws every other line alternately.

The end result is that a 60 Hz refresh rate redraws the complete screen at a rate of half that or 30 fps.

So it appears that you can only get 30 frames per second out of a 60 Hz monitor and 60 out or a 120 Hz monitor.

I guess that's why 30 fps is the standard to computer video and why it takes a 120 Hz monitor to do 3D on a flat screen.

Mike

But, what if the frames are not interlaced but progressive?

I suppose it's possible but I don't really know.

I guess if the file is non interlaced and the monitor will run at 120 Hz it's possible.

I thought that the reason you need a 120 Hz Monitor for 3D was that you couldn't get a fast enough frame rate but TV video is only 30 So why the problem showing 3D on a 60 Hz screen.

I have a 120 Hz TV but what I read says you need a 240 Hz TV for 3D?

I haven't seen anything that really explains this clearly.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back