Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame Skipping On Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTL1

Technical User
Aug 3, 2006
CA
Hey. I have burned my camcorder DVD onto my computer, and converted it to an AVI file using the XVid Codec. So I try importing the AVI file into Premiere, the audio is fine, but the video is really messed up, it's just green/purple scramble. So I imported it to Windows Movie Maker, and exported it as a 640x480 WMV file, and imported that into Premiere, the picture does show up, but it does some heavy skipping. Audio is fine still. What can I do to fix this problem?

Premiere doesn't like temporarily-compressed CODECs like XVid or WMV. Try converting to DV AVI and take the big hit on disk space before editing in Premiere.

Alternatively, get the MainConcept MPEG editing plugin and stay with the original MPEG2 footage from DVD.

Or use Premiere Elements 2, which is billed as being able to handle MPEG2 out of the box.

How about Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0? Will that be able to handle MPEG2?

It doesnt matter what version of premiere it is, but i think it could handle mpeg, if not, try converting it to huffyuv, using virtualdubmod

As far as I am aware, both Premiere Pro 2 and Premiere Elements 2 will handle MPEG2 on the timeline. Since I have neither version, I can't offer guarantees, but a trial download might give you a way to prove this.

Other versions of Premiere cannot handle MPEG properly on the timeline, except for those capable of using the MainConcept plugin at extra cost.

I your situation, I suspect that the best option would be a bundle of Premiere Elements 2 and PhotoShop Elements 4, which seems extremely good value when compared to the cost of the full products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back