Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame relay or Leased line? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMedz

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2000
PH
Hi! im thinking on what to choose for our WAN requirement, could you comment on this pls....
frame relay or leased line?

How long is a piece of string! What are your requirements? How far apart are your WAN sites? What bandwidth do you require? How many sites are you linking? How big are the networks?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

I just don't have the exact length for the distance.
But im trying to connect our ofc in vietnam to hongkong.
basic aplication that will go through this connection is domino mail routing and replications. and we're also using PC anywhere for reomte access to our different offices.
tnks!

-AMedz-

i think framerelay will be appropriate..... it could be scalable also....and could be very cheap than lease line.

I agree. For connecting remote offices frame relay would be the better option. You only pay for the local link to frame relay provider at each end. With a leased line you would pay for the entire link. It's also very scaleable as you could add multiple sites to your network and easily connect them to the mail site and other sites via the fr network.

The other option is course is site to site VPNs. Each site would connect to the inernet via their local provider and then would form a VPN/IPSEC tunnel between sites. You could also do away with PC Anywhere as remote users could have VPN clients on their laptops/home machines. This would ensure secure communications between remote users and the central site.

Just an idea!!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

How about the bandwidth? will i get better bandwidth with frame relay rather than leased line? do i have a guaranteed bandwidth for leased line or frame relay?

With a leased line you bandwidth is guaranteed. If you ask for 2MB then that's what you get and your service provider has to ensure that their available bandwidth on their network is greater than the total combined maximum bandwidth of all their customers.

With frame relay the bandwidth through the frame "cloud" is contended. However, when you sign up for a frame relay circuit you agree to a CIR (Committed Information Rate). This is the rate at which you will not drop below. For example, if you ask for a 2MB line with a CIR of say 512K, then your available bandwidth might drop below 2MB if you are not using it so that other customers can make use of the bandwidth. However, it will not drop below your CIR (512K). The total bandwidth required by the service provider on their fr network is the total of all the CIR's. In practice this would be much higher, but you get the idea.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Is there a chance that i might get higher bandwidth than i asked for? coz' you said that if some customer is not using all their bandwidth it will be distributed to those who needs it.

-AMedz-

Your bandwidth would only go up to what you have ordered from your supplier. So, for a FR line of 2MB with a CIR of 256K, the minimum that you would get would be 256K and the maximum would be 2MB. The benefir is of course that if you are only utilising say 1MB then you only pay for 1MB. In other words, the charges are based on bandwidth utilisation up to your max bandwidth. With a leased line if you have 2MB but you are only using 1MB, you still pay the full price for the 2MB circuit.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

is that practical ?

he will agree on 2mb CIR and ask for 4mb link....

is that thing in practice....

will the cost differ for frame relay link between the connection of neighbour country and the conuntry in another continent.

I don't know what the exact costs involved are. That will differ from Telco to Telco.

Either way, it a more efficeint way of purchasing bandwidth as you only pay for your utilisation and not always the full link.

You would have to speak to your supplier to see what bandwidths and CIRs are available.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

I agree! for now im satisfied and decided to go to FR,
thanks chris! got a lot and helpful info from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back