Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame Relay explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLinkTech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
DE
Hi,

Not a WAN networking guy so I am looking for some "layman's terms" in what I'm asking. As part of a term project, I need to assist in the design of a multi-site WAN using Cisco routers, PIX, switches, etc. My group has settled on using Frame Relay for the sites that are outside of the U.S. but in the 1st draft of the proposal, there is no mention of any data security components (encryption, etc).

Not being overly familar w/ FR, I don't really know what to say to them about this. Given the same connection needs over a standard IP network, I would never send traffic over the WAN that wasn't protected in a VPN or with some level of encryption.

I'm guessing that I don't know enough about FR so if someone can give me some pointers as to why this is ok (or not), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks as always...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the primer - had already seen that and unfortunately doesn't really answer my question. I need some insight on how FR is different than the standard IP network - why would a FR circuit not need data security over the wire vs. a similarly constructed circuit over an IP network, etc?

Thanks,

- Ed

Frame relay would utilize private connections through a given provider. Only you would have access to the particular traffic, versus data heading over a metro circuit via internet.

It would be like having sveral private point to point T1's interconnected.

Gotcha - thanks, that makes sense. I did recently read something about the potential for intrusion due to the way that some providers provision the PVCs - any thoughts on this?

Thanks again...

- Ed

We have had one of our PVC's mapped to another company's circuit once. A tech in the center fat fingered a config and accidentally mapped it to the wrong circuit ID.
I have not heard of any way to exploit vulnerabilities in frame relay, but that is not to say they are not there.
All of our problems with frame come from the carrier misconfiguring the circuits.

That depends on what the provider uses as frame switches...for example, a Cisco router can be configured as a frame switch. Frame relay operates at layer 2, so the only vulnerability I can think of is mac-address spoofing...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back