Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame Relay CIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryKen

MIS
Apr 1, 2003
US
What effect would having a CIR of 0 on a circuit have?

that means the telco can guarantee 0Kbps of traffic to you..

good luck..

Some providers, like Sprint, look at CIR as selling insurance. CIR costs money but provides a guarantee as StarTAC mentioned. Sprint feels that their backbone is solid enough and scalable enough that CIR isn't necessary.

Look at your needs and evaluate if you need that guarantee.

We run a CIR of 0 on 2 carrier networks...Sprint, and MCI.

The reason we run 0 on Sprint, is because they do not use "CIR", since, as stated above, they build their backbone to support port speeds. They do use something called DDR (Dedicated Delivery Rate), which is 99% or your port speed. This means that you can expect 99% of port speed before ANY congestion occurs. All packets are marked discard eligible, but should never be an issue unless you are hammering your link.

We then run WorldCom as a "backup provider" for the Sprint sites. We keep 0 CIR because of the lower price and for the fact that it is backup only. Basically you are going to encounter lots of congestion (WorldCom's backbone sucks), and unless you specify traffic shaping on the PVC (max burst, excess burst, etc), you can run into problems...so be forewarned.

If the FR that you are talking about is the primary link to any sites, I would NOT run a CIR of 0.

If Sprint does not use CIR, what type of guarantee is in the SLA? Does it specifically say "You can expect 99% of port speed before ANY congestion occurs"? If it does not explicitly say that, then isn't purchasing CIR "insurance" necessary?

Sprint does use a CIR - they just aren't in the habbit of selling it. They feel they have built their network to support customers usage without the need for CIR (summary of the propoganda from Sprint).

You made me get out my Sprint 3-ring binder... Sprint offers an SLA for Frame as follows:

Data Delivery Rate:
(0) CIR = 99.0%
CIR = 99.9%

So in essence, a customer purchasing a 128K PVC with 50% CIR from Sprint will receive 128K bandwidth with a 99.9% DDR SLA (or 99.0% w/ the 0 CIR).

0 cir from what i get is: you dont pay big bucks for cir, instead you pay little bucks and are able to burst up to port speed...providers used to sell these deal just to get people to buy their product. its changed these days.

it's very hard to think that u r subscibing to an isp with cir=0, as stated above it's partially true that they dnt need to offer cir bcause they have enough bandwidth to support their customer, but how would you know if they are not oversubscribed!, in a frame cloud, it's a shared technology, that's why they offer bursting... my point is if all the clients are usin internet esp to those who have a hefty budget with subscription of huge bndwidth, ur network will be crippled like a lame man walking down the street!!

"what you focus on expands...."
tet(pinoy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back