Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frame-Relay CAR on DS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM2005

ISP
Sep 28, 2005
GB
Hi

We have a DS3 as the NNI of an MPLS cloud. Customers connecting to the cloud at other points are going to use the DS3 to aggregate their traffic through us to the Internet Their site-to-site traffic which will not touch us.

I need to rate limit the customer traffic so it does not burst over 2Mb per customer over the DS3. Each remote site has a DLCI from the NNI. I assume I will rate limit per DLCI, but need some advice.

I am a bit wary of using the right method of traffic rate limiting the traffic, and have not used Frame a great deal before.

Is CAR the best method to use? Also, am I misunderstanding anything, do I need to offer more information?

Thanks for your time.

I'd have thought you could choose anything from either CAR or Policing (if you want to actively control and dro pif necessary traffic that bursts over its CIR).

If you don't want to be so harsh on your customer, generic traffic shaping (GTS) should achieve the same result but buffer their traffic rather than drop it.

Hope this helps

Thanks again KiscoKid. I don't think politically it will be a good idea to just drop them so GTS looks like the way forward.

So if I have this config, will it limit the traffic over the DLCI from a minimum of 512k to a maximum of 2Mb?

I have a DS3 but have lots of customers on separate DLCI's. I obviously don't want a single customer bursting to the whole pipe as the charges will cause their heads to explode.

Interface Serial 3/0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
frame-relay traffic-shaping
!
interface Serial3/0.1
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
frame-relay interface-dlci 100
frame-relay class Henley
!

map-class frame-relay Henley
frame-relay traffic-rate 512000 2000000

Or is this incomplete?

You've certainly got all the essential stuff there.

If supported on the FR network, I might suggest adding an adaptive shaping mechanism which will ensure the users on a particular DLCI are ramped down to their configured average throughput in the event of network congestion.

Depending what kind of FR switch you're talking to will determine whether you can use BECN's or Foresight adaptive shaping (to use foresight, your local FR switch has to be a Cisco device and Foresight must be configured on that switch). Foresight is arguably better than the more traditional BECN implementation.

To add Foresight adaptive traffic shaping:

frame-relay adaptive-shaping foresight

To add BECN adaptive traffic shaping:

frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back